Baccarat originated in Italy and was named after the word "zero" in Italian. Zero is the value of face cards, which happens to be the worst hand in the game. Baccarat became popular in France before it reached Las Vegas, and it's since become a staple in casinos all over the world.
The game uses six decks of cards and pits the player against the banker. You can bet on the player, the banker or a tie. You're betting on who you think will have a hand closer to nine - the best possible score. Please see below for a detailed description on how to play Baccarat.
How To Play Baccarat
- The game is played using six decks, which are reshuffled after each hand.
- You can bet on the Player, the Banker, a Tie or a combination of all three.
- The Player plays first.
- If the total of the Player's hand is between zero and 5, draw another card.
- If the total of the Banker's hand is 7, 8 or 9, a new card is not drawn. If the total is zero, 1 or 2, the Banker draws another card. If the hand total is between 3 and 6, the Banker draws a card as follows:
|Banker||Player's Draw Card|
Win Or Lose
- You must pick the hand with the highest total.
- You picked a Tie to win and there is a tie.
- You bet on the Player and the hand wins, you win what you bet. A $5 bet pays back your $5, plus an additional $5.
- If you bet on the Banker and the hand wins, you win your bet minus a 5% commission.* For example, a $5 bet pays back $5, plus an additional $4.75.
- You bet on a Tie and if the Tie wins, you get nine times your bet. A $5 bet pays back $5, plus an additional $45.
*Note: the commission is 5% of the bet and is rounded up to the next quarter. For example, a minimum bet of $6 would deduct a 50 cent commission. 5% of $6 = 30 cents, but since the commission is rounded up to the next 25 cents; the commission is actually 50 cents. 5% of $11 = 55 cents makes the actual commission 75 cents.
- The suit of a card has no bearing or value.
- Cards numbered from 2 to 9 have face value.
- 10s, jacks, queens, and kings are worth zero.
- Aces have a value of 1.
- Add the values of each card in the hand, dropping the tens place value to find the score.
- For example, 7 + 7 = 14 results in a value of 4 when you drop the tens place value (the number 1 in 14).
- Bet - Choose Player, Banker or Tie. Click on the chips at the bottom right to bet them. To deselect chips, click on them in the betting area.
- Deal - Used to start the game after you have placed your bet.